Top 10 Traits of Successful Losers
By Greg Landry, M.S.
I've worked with
hundreds of people who were interested in losing weight. Over
the years I started to notice that the people who were successful
weight and maintaining that loss, had several traits in common. If
is to be successful at losing weight and keeping it off, my
be to make these traits your own;
1. They make aerobic exercise such as walking, jogging, or
swimming part of
their DAILY life. They realize that DAILY activity is absolutely
their success. They are committed to
exercising just about every day for the rest of their lives. It's
not a chore
2. They either naturally enjoy the exercise they do, or they make
For example, many of them enjoy walking in the beautiful outdoors,
or if they
don't, they make it enjoyable
by listening to music or taped books, exercising with a friend, or
varying their route or the type of exercise they do.
3. They don't smoke. I have seen very few smokers who were
successful at weight
4. They are typically early risers and get their exercise done
first thing in
5. They don't weigh themselves every day.
6. They have an incredible desire to lose weight and be healthy.
But, they don't
just talk about it - lots of folks do that. They actually walk the
are willing to do what it takes to get
where they want to be. This gets them through the tough times when
like giving up.
7. They don't fall for the latest fad diet and they are resolved
to the fact
that their weight loss will take time. They're not constantly
looking for short
8. They realize that their body functions best and is healthiest
getting the naturally healthy stuff - fruits, veggies, and whole
concentrate on eating these with very limited added fat and sugar.
9. They prepare most of their own meals and usually bring their
lunch to work.
10. They weight train two to three days per week to maintain
muscle tone and
elevate their basal metabolic rate.
11.(Bonus) They usually have a great big smile on their face! They
know that it
may be very
tough at times, but they also know that they are slowly but surely
goals they've worked for. That feels great!
Go for it - YOU can do it!